Department of Anatomy
Research group for perinatal injuries
Perinatal period is essential in the development of the central nervous system. Injuries in this period can cause severe damage with permanent disabilities. However, very little is known about the short-term effects of neuronal lesions, despite the prognostic significance of the early changes. The nervous system – especially in young age – has a huge potential of plasticity and regeneration, which can prevent the negative effects of neuronal damage. Examination of the environmental factors affecting this regeneration and remodeling process is very important.
We examine the effects of various toxic, ischemic and perinatal stress in rodents on the early neurobehavioral development. We also investigate endogenous and exogenous factors, which can ameliorate these negative effects.
- Effects of perinatal asphyxia, search for possible neuroprotective treatment
- Investigation of environmental enrichment on neurobehavioral development
- Effects of maternal smoking in offspring
- Studying an animal model of Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
- Peter Kiss MD, PhD, dr. habil (principal investigator)
- Gabor Horvath MD, PhD
- Tímea Kvárik MD
- Barbara Mammel MD
- Dora Reglodi, MD, PhD, DSc
Selected publications on these topics
- Farkas J, Sandor B, Tamas A, Kiss P, Hashimoto H, Nagy AD, Fulop BD, Juhasz T, Manavalan S, Reglodi D. Early neurobehavioral development of mice lacking endogenous PACAP. J Mol Neurosci 2017; 61:468-478 (IF: 2.229)
- Kvarik T, Mammel B, Reglodi D, Antonelli MC, Farkas J, Tamas A, Ertl T, Atlasz T, Bodzai G, Kiss P, Gyarmati J. Effects of Maternal Stress during Different Periods of Pregnancy on the Early Neurobehavioral Response of Rats. J Neurol Neurosci 2016; 7: (2) 80
- Horvath G, Reglodi D, Farkas J, Vadasz Gy, Mammel B, Kvarik T, Bodzai G, Kiss-Ills B, Farkas D, Matkovits A, Sridharan M, Gaszner B, Tamas A, Kiss P. Perinatal positive and negative influences on the early neurobehavioral reflex and motor development. Könyvfejezet. in: Perinatal Programming and Development. Advances in Neurobiology 2015;10:149-67.
- Horvath G, Kiss P, Nemeth J, Lelesz B, Tamas A, Reglodi D. Environmental enrichment increases PACAP levels in the CNS of adult rats. Neuroendocrinol Lett 2015; 36: 143-147. (IF: 0,946)
- Horvath G, Reglodi D, Vadasz Gy, Farkas J, Kiss P. Exposure to enriched environment decreases neurobehavioral deficits induced by neonatal glutamate toxicity. Int J Mol Sci 2013; 14: 19054-19066 (IF: 2,339).
- Kiss P, Szabadfi K, Horvath G, Tamas A, Farkas J, Gabriel R, Reglodi D. Gender-dependent effects of enriched environment and social isolation in ischemic retinal lesion in adult rats. Int J Mol Sci 2013; 14:16111-16123 (IF: 2,339).
- Kiss P, Vadasz Gy, Kiss-Illes B, Horvath G, Tamas A, Reglodi D, Koppan M. Enviromental enrichment decreases asphyxia-induced neurobehavioral developmental delay in neonatal rats. Int J Mol Sci 2013; 14: 22258-22273 (IF: 2.339).
- Kiss P, Szogyi D, Reglodi D, Horvath G, Farkas J, Lubics A, Tamas A, Atlasz T, Szabadfi K, Babai N, Gabriel R, Koppan M. Effects of perinatal asphyxia on the neurobehavioral and retinal development of newborn rats. Brain Res 2009; 1255: 42-50. (IF: 2.463)
- Kiss P, Hauser D, Tamás A, Lubics A, Rácz B, Horváth Zs, Farkas J, Zimmermann F, Stepien A, Lengvári I, Reglődi D. Changes in open-field activity and novelty-seeking behavior in periadolescent rats neonatally treated with monosodium glutamate. Neurotox Res 2007; 12: 85-93. (IF: 5.234).
- Kiss P, Tamás A, Lubics A, Lengvári I, Szalai M, Hauser D, Horváth Zs, Rácz B, Gábriel R, Babai N, Tóth G, Reglődi D. Effects of systemic PACAP treatment in monosodium glutamate-induced behavioral changes and retinal degeneration. Ann NY Acad Sci 2006; 1070: 365-370. (IF: 1,93)
- Kiss P, Tamás A, Lubics A, Szalai M, Szalontay L, Lengvári I, Reglődi D. Development of neurological reflexes and motor coordination in rats neonatally treated with monosodium glutamate. Neurotox Res 2005; 8: 235-244. (IF: 1,664)
- Lubics A, Reglődi D, Tamás A, Kiss P, Szalai M, Szalontay L, Lengvári I. Neurological reflexes and early motor behavior in rats subjected to neonatal hypoxic/ischemic injury. Behav Brain Res 2005; 157: 157-165. (IF: 2,865)
- Reglődi D, Kiss P, Tamás A, Lengvári I. The effects of PACAP and PACAP antagonist on the neurobehavioral development of newborn rats. Behav Brain Res 2003; 140: 131-139. (IF: 2,817)
- Szabadfi K, Atlasz T, Horvath G, Kiss P, Hamza L, Farkas J, Tamas A, Lubics A, Gabriel R, Reglodi D. Early postnatal enriched environment decreases retinal degeneration induced by monosodium glutamate treatment. Brain Res 2009; 1259: 107-112.