Official data in SubjectManager for the following academic year: 2023-2024
Dr. Tímea DERGEZ
Institute of Bioanalysis
Number of hours/semester
lectures: 6 hours
practices: 6 hours
seminars: 0 hours
total of: 12 hours
- Code of subject: OAF-EPR-T
- 1 kredit
- General Medicine
- Optional modul
- both semesters
Course headcount limitations
min. 5 – max. 6
Available as Campus course for 5 fő számára. Campus-karok: ÁOK GYTK TTK
The aim of the course is to learn the usual techniques in EPR spectroscopy on different samples, and evaluation of the results obtained.
The electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy is a method similar to NMR, but deals with the properties of electron spin resonance. The technique provides data on the molecular structure and dynamics of various, e.g. biological systems.
The investigation of paramagnetic materials, like free radicals, metals, and special spin-labels help to describe biological systems, e.g. membranes, proteins.
- 1. The basics of EPR Spectroscopy - Borbásné Dr. Farkas Kornélia
- 2. The basic features of EPR Spectrometer - Borbásné Dr. Farkas Kornélia
- 3. Spin labels and labeling methods - Dr. Dergez Tímea
- 4. Free radicals - spin trapping - Dr. Dergez Tímea
- 5. Membrane structures and their labeling - Dr. Dergez Tímea
- 6. Other biological structures and their labeling - Dr. Dergez Tímea
- 1. Way of registration, registration and analyze of an EPR spectra
- 2. EPR spectra analysis of membrane dynamics 1.
- 3. EPR spectra analysis of membrane dynamics 2.
- 4. EPR spectra analysis of biological structures 1. (muscle fibres)
- 5. EPR spectra analysis of other biological structures 2. (with spin labelling technics)
- 6. Spin trapping method
Literature developed by the Department
Notes in Microsoft Teams Group.
1. C. P. Poole: Electron Spin Resonance, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1983
2. Hoppe, N., Lohmann, W., Marke, H., Ziegler, H.: Biophysics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987
Conditions for acceptance of the semester
6 tasks to solve.
There are 6 homework (all with 5 short questions).
Making up for missed classes
List of the exam can be find in Microsoft Teams Group.
Instructor / tutor of practices and seminars
- Borbásné Dr. Farkas Kornélia
- Dr. Dergez Tímea