Official data in SubjectManager for the following academic year: 2023-2024
Dr. László PÓTÓ
Institute of Bioanalysis
Number of hours/semester
lectures: 12 hours
practices: 0 hours
seminars: 0 hours
total of: 12 hours
- Code of subject: OAF-DTD-T
- 1 kredit
- General Medicine
- Optional modul
- both semesters
Course headcount limitations
min. 5 – max. 12
The course goal is to help to students to start their student research or thesis job. The first step is to select the topic. The best way to do this is overviewing the relevant scientific literature of the given field of interest. It should be found typically at least a few dozen of fresh scientific paper. It should be selected the most relevant ones and process them. There is a well-established system for this. You will learn the steps on this course. One example for evaluating the result data from different papers statistically is the meta-analysis. Examples will also be presented on the course for that. There will be at least two main results of this evaluation process:
- It can be seen which examined questions were answered on a statistically proved way and which ones are still open. The later ones are good candidates for selecting as a topic for your research. Not only as a thesis job but as a potential PhD topic as well.
- On the other side it can be discovered some pitfalls which were causing to fail some results in a given research work. To correct them is another potential job for a thesis work.
We can do this part of the scientific research work in this course:
- Search and find the relevant literature.
- Collect and analyze the relevant published results (meta-analysis).
- Select a given topic and sketch the study plan for that.
- The real data collection, evaluation and the presentation of the results are typically done in a few months or sometimes 1-3 years of work. To support these further phases of the research work are over the limits of a six-week long optional class. The practical support of those further steps of the research work may be the goals of some other courses.
- 1. Basic features of medical research studies. - Dr. Pótó László
- 2. Basic features of medical research studies. - Dr. Pótó László
- 3. Find the right literature. Critical issues. - Dr. Pótó László
- 4. Find the right literature. Critical issues. - Dr. Pótó László
- 5. Find the most important papers for your job. - Dr. Pótó László
- 6. Find the most important papers for your job. - Dr. Pótó László
- 7. Collect and order the relevant published data - Dr. Pótó László
- 8. Collect and order the relevant published data - Dr. Pótó László
- 9. The meta-analysis. Present and interpret the typical results. - Dr. Pótó László
- 10. The meta-analysis. Present and interpret the typical results. - Dr. Pótó László
- 11. Finalize the topic and the main research concepts. - Dr. Pótó László
- 12. Finalize the topic and the main research concepts. - Dr. Pótó László
5-10 papers from the library, department, tutor ... collected by the student.
Literature developed by the Department
Any statistical book from the design of studies and data evaluation.
Conditions for acceptance of the semester
Maximum of 15 % absence allowed
Prepare your research plan and present it week by week on the course.
Making up for missed classes
One extra class
Active participation and prepare and submit your own research plan.