Official data in SubjectManager for the following academic year: 2023-2024
Dr. Béla BIRKÁS
Department of Behavioural Sciences
Number of hours/semester
lectures: 0 hours
practices: 0 hours
seminars: 24 hours
total of: 24 hours
- Code of subject: OAE-MAO-T
- 2 kredit
- General Medicine
- Elective modul
- both semesters
Course headcount limitations
min. 5 – max. 12
Strong evidences support that health condition, illness and life expectancies are determined by the individual's life style and behaviour. Patients' illness behaviour and coping abilities have an impact on the outcome of illness and rehabilitation. This course introduces into the processes of health behaviour and behaviour changing focusing on the therapeutic aspects of chronic diseases and specific clinical fields.
- 1. Health models, disease models.
- 2. Interactions between behaviour and health/disease.
- 3. Disease and disease behaviour as adaptation
- 4. Darwinian behavioural medicine
- 5. Social influences determining behaviour
- 6. Interpersonal behaviour and health
- 7. Recognition of psychological states by machine learning
- 8. Recognition of psychological states by machine learning
- 9. Behavioural medicine in understanding and treating the development of addictions.
- 10. Neurocognitive processes, brain activity and addictions.
- 11. Cognitive models, cognitive techniques in behavioural medicine.
- 12. Behavioural therapy techniques in general practice, behaviour modification.
- 13. Pain, psychological approaches to pain management - Psychological aspects of chronic and acute pain.
- 14. The relationship between trauma and pain experience. Non-invasive pain relief methods (ACT, imagination).
- 15. The role of suggestive communication in the healing process
- 16. Basic rules and methods of suggestion and characteristics of altered states of consciousness
- 17. Relaxation in medical practice
- 18. Hypnosis in medical practice
- 19. Psychological factors associated with reproductive disorders, changes in quality of life
- 20. Bio-psycho-social understanding of infertility.
- 21. Psychological factors affecting medication adherence
- 22. Psychological factors affecting medication adherence
- 23. Summary
- 24. Evaluation
Literature developed by the Department
Handouts, publications, additional materials, presentations. Materials are available on Neptun.
Feldman, M. D., Christensen, J.F. (eds.): Behavioral Medicine: A Guide for Clinical Practice, Fourth Edition, McGrow - Hill, 2014.
Csabai, M., Molnar, P.: Health, Illness and Care. A Textbook of Medical Psychology, Springer Orvosi Kiadó, Budapest, 2000.
Kaptein, A., Weinman, J. (eds.): Health Psychology, BPS Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
Conditions for acceptance of the semester
According to Code of Studies and Examinations. The topics of the course will be prepared by students holding a live demonstration with a PowerPoint presentation.
Presentation of a topic + written final test.
Making up for missed classes
Additional homework or presentation.
Instructor / tutor of practices and seminars
- Dr. Birkás Béla
- Dr. Darnai Gergely
- Dr. Gács Boróka
- Dr. Matuz András
- Dr. Tiringer István
- Hartung István