Official data in SubjectManager for the following academic year: 2023-2024
Department of Behavioural Sciences
Number of hours/semester
lectures: 0 hours
practices: 0 hours
seminars: 14 hours
total of: 14 hours
- Code of subject: OTL-BIOE-T
- 1 kredit
- Biotechnology BSc
- Soft Skills for Biotechnology modul
Course headcount limitations
min. 5 – max. 99
The primary objective of the course is to present and discuss basic ethical considerations that are relevant to biotechnological research and various applications of biotechnology. Course topics include: international standards of modern medical ethics, main aspects of environmental ethics, animal protection ethics, laboratory biosafety ethics, ethical dilemmas of genetic engineering in plant, animal and human organisms.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Basic notions, Theories
- 3. Moral issues of genetic interventions 1.
- 4. Moral issues of genetic interventions 2.
- 5. Ethical issues of human experiments 1.
- 6. Ethical issues of human experiments 2.
- 7. Reproductive ethics 1.
- 8. Reproductive ethics 2.
- 9. Environmental ethics 1.
- 10. Environmental ethics 2.
- 11. Ethics of organ- and tissue transplantation 1.
- 12. Ethics of organ- and tissue transplantation 2.
- 13. Semester closure
- 14. Test exam
A. R. Jonsen, M. Siegler, W. J. Winsdale, Clinical Ethics: A Practical Approach to Ethical Decisions in Clinical Medicine, 8th edition, 2015, McGraw-Hill Education, New York
P. Nambisan 2017. An introduction to ethical, safety and intellectual property rights issues in biotechnology. Academic Press. (chapters 5-11; pp 127-272.)
J. Morris 2006. The Ethics of Biotechnology, Infobase Publishing
Literature developed by the Department
M. Hauskeller: Biotechnology and the Integrity of Life, Ashgate, 2007
B. Steinbock: The Oxford handbook of bioethics. Oxford University Press, 2007
Conditions for acceptance of the semester
According to the Studies and Exams Code.
Making up for missed classes
Test questions from notes.
- Dr. Laki Beáta
Instructor / tutor of practices and seminars
- Dr. Laki Beáta