The Institute of Physiology was originally founded in 1923 and today is one of the oldest and largest institutes aligned to the University of Pécs.
Notably, the Institute’s research groups, in their respective role as members of the Center for Neuroscience, University of Pécs, are focused on research including feeding behaviour, visual information processing, memory and neuroendocrinology, from molecules to behaviour and clinics.
Through gradual training, colleagues within the Institute are teaching Medical Physiology to students enrolled in General Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy as well as Medical Biotechnology. Distinctly, all the courses are taught in Hungarian, English and German. The Institute routinely participates in postgraduate education (PhD) as part of the Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Medical Sciences.
Currently, the Institute operates at two locations, one at Honvéd Street #3 and Szigeti Street #12, which is the Faculty of Medicine, University of Pécs and the other two research groups are assigned laboratories at the contemporary Szentágothai János Research Center.
The Institute will move to the ultra-modern building of the Faculty of Medicine during the summer of 2020.
In addition to the research and teaching responsibilities, the Institute of Physiology is involved in the coordination of Center for Neuroscience, University of Pécs, (link) and management of super resolution microscopy center, the Nano-Bio-Imaging Core Facility.
The Institute’s research groups have active collaborations with the Department of Anatomy, the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, the Faculty of Science and the Clinical Center including the Department of Neurosurgery and the Department of Neurology. In addition, several of its collaborators are internationally recognized renowned scientist.
For additional information please visit the “Brief History of the Institute of Physiology” and the Institute’s website.
With best regards,
István Ábrahám MD, PhD, DSc
Chair of the Institute